The Library is the most significant room in the house regarding authenticity. It remains as it was built. All the wood is of native black walnut, with the exception of the parquet floor. The original shutters have been reproduced, and glass doors were added to the shelves which were on the architect’s drawings. The books in the cases are Oglesby family books.
The dining room is the other area that is known to be correct. During the restoration, the complete decoration of the room was found, even the color of the ceiling and all the faux finishes. This room has been reproduced as it was during the Oglesbys’ time in the house.
The dining room wallpaper was reproduced by a company that was making authentic Victorian wallpapers. All the walls with the exception of the hall and the library are covered with Bradbury and Bradury Wallpaper copied from papers of the time period.
Furnishings in the home have been chosen for the time period 1860-1885. Most came from old Decatur families. Many of the pieces and the artifacts have come from Oglesby descendants.
Through the years, there have been some structural changes. In 1905 the older house was removed and relocated elsewhere. In its place, a small porch was added to the west side of the house. In the restoration of the dining room, a wall that enclosed a butler’s pantry and a stairwell to the basement were removed to make the dining room correct. A greenhouse had been added at the time the Bering-Evans families lived here. Though this is not historically correct, it has been kept for its usefulness. A modern bath and kitchen have been added to make the house usable to the public. The south-east corner of the second floor is now a caretaker’s apartment.
The house is on the National Register of Historic Places.